Van Buren County mayor sets specific goals for 2018
By Bobby Lee McCulley | January 11, 2018 6:47 am
Riding off a wave of accomplishing several goals and tasks during 2017, the government of Van Buren County is looking forward to achieving a new set of goals in 2018.
Recently, Van Buren County Mayor Greg Wilson released a list of several accomplishments achieved by the county during the previous year.
According to a letter released to the public from the Van Buren County Mayor’s Office, on Jan. 9, “2017 was a good year for Van Buren County.” The letter proceeded to list several accomplishments the county achieved during 2017. Thanks to numerous grants that the county applied for and received, over $50,000 was awarded to the county for tourism and health.
Van Buren County was able to build a new amphitheater “entertainment stage” at the Burritt College campus and began construction on the new county farmers market. Additionally, the county installed lightning around the walking track at the Fall Creek Falls Community Center and built walking trails at Cedar Grove and Sparkmantown Community centers.
The county also purchased a new ambulance for Van Buren County Emergency Medical Service. During the later part of 2017, the county also acquired property that was donated by Citizens Tri- County Bank to construct a new community center in the Mooneyham-Lonewood community.
Wilson outlined 12 specific items the county will be working toward in 2018.
(1) Completing the new justice center and county administration building
(2) Finishing the construction project of the farmers market building by April 2018
(3) Completing a farmer/arts and crafts building by May 2018
(4) Build four new walking tracks in the Piney, Rocky River, Cummingsville, and Bone Cave communities
(5) Build a new community center on the recently acquired property in the Mooneyham-Lonewood community
(6) Build an addition onto the Piney Fire Station for community center activities
(7) Build an picnic pavilion, walking trail, and recreation space at Burritt Park
(8) Build an Agriculture Education Center
(9) Apply for a $75,000 tourism grant to remodel the Burritt College building
(10) Apply for $500,000 grant for low income housing renovations
(11) Apply for $500,000 grant for preparations for an industrial site
(12) Apply for a $315,000 grant to purchase new self-contained breathing apparatuses for the volunteer fire departments in Van Buren