Warriors come up just short against Stone Memorial High School

By | February 5, 2018 6:48 am

Kade Clark goes up for a layup while getting fouled in Friday’s game. (Photo by ANDY SOUTHARD)

The Warriors came into Friday night’s match-up with Stone Memorial High School looking to avenge an earlier loss to the Panthers just eight days ago in Crossville.

That was not to be this time around either, as Stone Memorial (13-10, 4-2) handed the Warriors a 50-44 setback on homecoming night.

Dyson Reece led the Warriors (9-18,0-6) with 21 points as he hit three treys in the contest. That was, however, not enough to overcome the Panthers.

WCHS shot 39.5 percent overall from the field for the game. They connected on 13 of their 28 two-point attempts but were just four of 15 on shots outside the arc. Stone Memorial outrebounded the Warriors 28-18 in the contest.

The Warriors could never get a lead in the contest, as they fell behind after tying the game up at 2. Stone Memorial would score the next 7 points to take a 9-2 lead. After a pair of free throws from Dyson Reece and a layup up Masyn Winningham made it 6-9, Stone Memorial would answer with a 3 to push their lead to 12-6. The Warriors would get a 3 from Reece at the end of the quarter to make it 12-9 heading into the second quarter.

In the second quarter, The Warriors and Panthers would trade baskets to open the quarter, but Stone Memorial would go on to score the next 8 points to push their lead to 22-11. Kade Clark would respond with a 3-point play, and Reece would follow it up with a layup to cut the lead to 22-16. However, 5 straight points by Stone would push their lead back to 11. Micah Webster would hit a 3, with 19 seconds remaining in the half, to make it 27-19, and that would be the score heading into the break.

After halftime, Stone Memorial would open the quarter with a pair of free throws to push their lead to 10, but a free throw from David Kinser and a layup by Reece would cut it back to 29-22. However Stone Memorial would get back-to-back 3 sandwiched in between a 3 from Reece to push their lead back to 10. Both teams would get layups at the end of the quarter, and the Warriors would trail Stone Memorial 37-27 heading into the final quarter of play.

In the fourth quarter, Stone would open the quarter with a basket to push their lead to 12, but back-to-back layups from David Kinser and Reece would cut the lead to 39-31. After a Stone Memorial basket pushed their lead back to double digits, Kinser would score 3 straight points to cut the lead to 7. Stone would respond, though, with a pair of free throws at the 4:11 mark, but a Reece 3 at the four-minute mark made it 43-37. The Panthers and the Warriors would trade baskets that would put the score at 47-41, with 1:29 remaining. Winningham would cut the lead down 4 for the Warriors with a layup, with 1:08 remaining in the game. However, that is as close as the Warriors would get, as Stone would close out the game going three for five from the field and pick up the win by a final score of 50-44.

The Warriors must regroup and get ready to close out the regular season this week. The Warriors will play host for their final two regular season games. On Tuesday night, the Warriors will take on Rhea County High School, and on Friday night, the Warriors will host Warren County for Senior Night. The Warriors struggled earlier this season against Rhea County losing 73-35. The Warriors will look to turn things around and pick up some momentum heading into the District Tournament.

No comments yet.

The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2019 | Sparta Live