James “Jim” Rex Jones

Posted By | November 26, 2019 8:35 am

James “Jim” Rex Jones, 82, of Sparta, passed from this life on Nov. 22, 2019, at Standing Stone Care and Rehabilitation Center, in Monterey.

Mr. Jones was born Feb. 11, 1937, in Sparta, the son of James Andrew Jones and Gilla Pippin Jones.

He was preceded in death by his parents; first wife, Joeann Jones; three sisters, Barbara Moore, Hilda Cantrell, Sue Mitchell; and three brothers, John Paul Jones, Charles Jones, and Boyd Wade.

Survivors include his wife, Angela Jones; his children and their spouses, Allen and Lora Jones, Robin Bruce, Jeffrey and Lori Jones, Regina Jones, Jason Jones; four brothers, Bobby Jack Jones, Kenneth Jones, Ronald Jones, David Jones; two sisters, Ida Blunkal, Mary Jane Taylor; and numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and special friends.

A memorial service will be 3:30-6:30 p.m., Nov. 27, at Plainview Free Will Baptist Church.

Arrangements are entrusted to Final Care Cremation Services.

comments » 4

1. Comment by Ronnie Steve Bruce

November 26, 2019 at 9:07 am

My Heart and prayers go to you all,such a great loss,i remember the stories jim would share,always a smiling face,always a helping hand,my prayers and love to you all at this time
    My our Lord and Saviour comfort,and hold you this day

2. Comment by Doris Murphy

November 26, 2019 at 11:19 am

I am so sorry to hear about James Rex. A wonderful hard working man. May God Bless and prayers for the the family.

3. Comment by Allen King

November 26, 2019 at 2:47 pm

My heart goes out to all of you for your lost the good Lord took a good one. I always looked up to James Rex as a kid growing up he was a mountain man in reality he was a mountain man . He always took time to show us how to hunt ,trap and live off the land and he did live off the land well .you will be missed James Rex and i will never forget all the times i got to spend wit you as a kid growing up

4. Comment by Donald Holman

November 27, 2019 at 11:51 am

How fitting that James Rex would be remembered at Plainview FWB! James Rex was truly a man among men. I had just been in Tennessee a year or so when Dad decided to build the church at Plainview and I was privileged to meet James Rex, Bobby Jack and the other brothers over the course of building the church. James Rex and Bobby Jack had hands so thickly calloused by the hard labor of laying blocks and bricks that they would crush the life out of wasps caught in the truck windows that hot summer with their bare hands…leaving a kid like me open mouthed with wonder! One of them (I forget which) could make a beautiful arrowhead out of the green coke bottle glass! On and on I could go listing the accomplishments of these men and their prowess at laying blocks, their incredible physical strength, laying 10 inch blocks with one hand! What I remember most of all, overshadowing all of their abilities that left me dumbfounded and impressed, was the kindness they showed a skinny kid hanging around the work site. I am sure James Rex must be delighting those in that other land to which he’s gone with his talents. May God bless his memory and may we all remember the tremendous work he and his brothers did that hot summer to build Plainview FWB !

By submitting a comment you grant Sparta Live a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.