Livingston man dies in wreck

Posted By | March 25, 2002 12:00 am

Dawn Bailey
Three victims sustained injuries in a two vehicle accident off Highway 111 at Hampton’s Crossroads on Saturday, while one man, Johnny R. Houser,
30, of Livingston, was airlifted by Medevac helicopter to Vanderbilt Hospital where he later died.
Concerned citizens watched from a nearby church as emergency personnel treated the patients and law enforcement officers directed traffic. “Alcohol was involved and charges are pending,” said Trooper Mark Dial of the Tennessee Highway Patrol.
George A. Clayburn, 50, of Celina, and his son, Daniel Clayburn, 15, were transported to the White County Community Hospital (WCCH). George Clayburn sustained a non-life threatening injury in the accident and Daniel Clayburn was admitted for observation. James Bennett, 61, of Sparta, was also transported to the WCCH after sustaining injuries.
According to Trooper Dial, a 1994 Chevy Lumina, driven by George Clayburn was traveling south on the off-ramp of Highway 111. Clayburn crossed over Highway 136 and made an attempt to get back onto Highway 111, when he was involved in the accident. Clayburn allegedly pulled into the path of a 1982 Ford pickup truck which was pulling a trailer.
Richard E. Thomas, 56, of Sparta, was traveling in the eastern direction on Old Kentucky Road, in the Ford, when the vehicles collided. A passenger in the truck, James Bennett, 61, of Sparta, was taken to the WCCH by White County EMS.
Trooper R.C. Christian, Lt. Jerry Andrews, Special Agents Eddie Farris and Troy Human of the CID (Criminal Investigation Division) of the Tennessee Highway Patrol were on the scene and lent their assistance. North End Volunteer Fire Dept., White County EMS, White County Sheriff’s Dept. and the Sparta-White County Rescue Squad were also on the scene. Trooper Dial took the report.
– Doyle residence sustained fire damage
An electrical fire threatened a home on McMinnville Highway, across from the Doyle Fire Dept., overnight.
Authorities were able to extinguish the fire but damage was found throughout one side of the home.
At approximately 7:20 p.m.,
March 21, 2002, the Emergency 911 Center dispatched Doyle and Mt. Gilead Volunteer Fire Depts. to the structure fire. Doyle Fire Chief Dewayne Kress said there were approximately 15 firemen on the scene. The fire had apparently started at an electrical plug in area on the second floor. Firefighters were able to save the structure but there was smoke and water damage throughout one side of the residence. Kress said, “Fortunately everyone in the house was okay.”
Sparta Air Van #410 was also dispatched to the location and lent their assistance. Authorities were on the scene until approximately 8:12 p.m.
– Kitchen fire at Doyle residence
Fire damaged the kitchen of the Burks residence on Mayes Street, Wednesday afternoon. Several fire depts., emergency personnel and law enforcement were on the scene and lent their assistance.
At approximately 2:25 p.m., March 20, 2002, Doyle and Mt. Gilead Fire Depts. were dispatched to the structure fire at 239 Mayes Street. The owners are Kevin and Vickie Burks. Firemen said heavy smoke was showing when they first arrived on the scene. Vickie Burks was allegedly inside the residence when the fire started. White County EMS responded and assisted the residents.
Tennessee Highway Patrol and the White County Sheriff’s Dept. responded and helped with traffic control as approximately 15 firemen and one explorer worked to extinguish the fire. Sparta Air Van #410 also responded and was on the scene until approximately 3:26 p.m.
Authorities said the cause of the fire was accidental. The fire apparently started in an electrical outlet in the kitchen, causing damage to the ceiling and cabinets. Heavy smoke damage was also found throughout the residence. Authorities were on the scene until approximately 3:35 p.m.
– Theft at Morgan Furniture
Over $600 worth of merchandise was stolen from Morgan Furniture Center, Tuesday afternoon. When authorities investigated, they said someone apparently stole a couch from the back dock area of the store.
The sofa was apparently taken from Morgan Furniture at 570 N. Spring Street, sometime between 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., March 19, 2002. The olive colored sofa (with cherry trim) was valued at $626.
Ptl. J. T. King of the Sparta
Police Dept. responded to the location at approximately 5:40 p.m. and took the report.
– Charged with financial responsibility
A traffic accident led to the arrest of Charles S. Cullon, Jr., 42, of Sparta due to driving on a suspended license and financial responsibility.
At approximately 8:18 a.m., March 18, 2002, the Sparta Police Dept. responded to a two vehicle accident on Bockman Way and Hayes Street. According to Sparta Police Chief Jeff Guth, a 1984 Volvo, driven by Cullon, was traveling west on Bockman Way when he was involved in an accident. A 2001 Dodge pickup (a city truck), driven by William Clay Parker, was traveling north on Hayes Street. Parker had attempted a left turn onto Bockman Way and allegedly failed to see the other vehicle. The Dodge hit the rear corner of the Volvo.
While investigating the scene, authorities charged Cullon with driving on a suspended license and financial responsibility. His court date was scheduled for April 15, 2002.

No comments yet.

The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2019 | Sparta Live

SIGN UP FOR MORE! Get special offers and updates from us in your inbox. Sign Up!
+ +